Making a Difference
During Catherine’s tenure as TDI’s Associate Commissioner of Enforcement, the division was responsible for returning more than $516M to consumers wronged by insurance companies violating state laws. Catherine and her staff also were responsible for collecting $46M+ in penalties from the offending companies.
- Levied a $4 million dollar fine against a major health insurance company while at the helm of TDI’s Enforcement Division. To date, this is the largest fine by TDI against a health insurance company.
- Represented the Department of Insurance against a major life insurance company, resulting in payment of a $2M fine for misrepresentation in the sale of life insurance policies.
- Regularly called to testify on behalf of TDI regarding proposed legislation.
- Represented TDI in industry wide cases to set benchmark rates for homeowners, auto and title insurance.
- Prosecuted homeowners rate cases against a major insurance company with assessed refunds of more than $310M.
- Implemented and enforced new legislation on rate regulation for homeowners insurance. Triaged and facilitated "60 hearings in 60 days" negotiating lower rates for 58 of the 60 and avoiding the cost to taxpayers of administrative hearings.
- Managed a team of 60+ attorneys and support staff.
- Texas State Bar - November 1994
- Chartered Property and Casualty Underwriter (CPCU) - 2004
- Austin Bar Association
- University of Texas School of Law (Austin, TX) - JD May 1994
- University of Saint Thomas (Houston, TX) - BA December 1988
© Copyright 2012 - 2013 by The Law Office of Catherine Reyer.
All Rights Reserved.